Here at the Catering Institute and MonkeyMedia Software, we work with the most amazing restaurant companies in America. I am always dissecting new ways of doing things, and always looking at ways of how to make catering work in restaurants. After all, a restaurant is a complex manufacturing plant! Adding more revenue channels is complicated.
The single most important lesson I have learned is that we need executive alignment to make catering work inside these complex operations. It requires commitment.
So, here are 5 things to think about as you consider growing catering sales.
1. Slow Down – We have to take the time to understand the 360 degree strategy of takeout, delivery and catering. They are all closely related. They are interdependent on each other.
2. Plan – We have to take the time to make a proper plan. We ALL need to do a better job at that. Planning is hard for everyone.
3. Menu Differentiation – We need to focus on markets. The market for these services is different from our current restaurant products and services.
4. Sales – We have to become very active in our selling process. It needs to become part of our culture at all touch points of our companies.
5. Patience – All great things take time. Growing catering out of our restaurants is a major commitment and it will take investment and time.
Of course, I could make a list of a hundred more ideas… just call me at 604-831-7422 if you want to chat more.
I am living and breathing this material all day long!