At the Catering Institute, we are focused on helping restaurant operators to grow sales and increase profits by educating their people to be experts at feeding their customers where they Live, Work & Play. Here and idea for your catering sales team. Feel free to pass it along!
Always start off a catering sales call by covering 3 things:
1. Make sure your customers/prospects understand how long the call will take. NEVER go past that time!
2. Make sure the customer knows what the objective of the call is. Be clear and always close with that objective in mind.
3. Relate the reason for the current sales call to the previous sales call you had with the person, or to information you may have sent them in the past.
Connecting the current sales call to something previous gives the customer the comfort of knowing you remember fully everything that may have already occurred. This also gives the customer the comfort of knowing you respect their time.
Let’s talk catering!
As many of you know, I’m passionate about catering in multi-unit restaurant ecosystems. As part of my duties at MonkeyMedia Software, I recently had a wonderful opportunity to speak at the Restaurant Leadership Conference in Scottsdale last month. My team captured the whole presentation on video, and I thought I’d post it here for anyone who is interested in seeing it.
I hope you enjoy it. Send me your thoughts!
I am a BIG believer in recruiting the right talent when it comes to growing catering sales outside the four walls of your restaurants.
Through MonkeyMedia Software’s Catering Institute I am very fortunate that I get to spend alot of time working with wonderful leaders in our restaurant community. All we do is think about how to scale catering operations on top of existing restaurant assets, 24/7/365.
Recruiting great Catering Sales Managers (CSMs) is a critical step forward as our industry strives towards building a sustainable and growing catering operation for our brands.
I thought I’d post this job description template that we recommend to help you recruit some great talent. I hope it helps!
Drop me a line after you use it and let me know if it draws some great talent your way.
|[YOUR BRAND GOES HERE] is growing and is looking for an experienced Catering Sales Manager (CSM) to join our team. Since [The Date your Brand Started], [YOUR BRAND HERE], has proven to be one of [YOUR CITY’S] most dynamic and successful restaurant management companies. [LIST YOUR BRAND’s AWARDS AND INDUSTRY RECOGNITION HERE]
The CSM is responsible for maximizing the off-premise sales channel to meet/exceed sales goals by soliciting, negotiating and booking new and repeat business via outside sales calls, telemarketing, mailings and networking.
The ideal candidate will have:
– Minimum of 3+ years of hospitality sales experience.
- Cold calling and networking strategies are a must.
- Thorough knowledge of the practices and procedures of the food and beverage, hospitality and catering businesses. Experience in off-premise catering a strong plus.
- Ability to execute and support the operational aspects of business booked.
- Outstanding customer service.
- Strong organizational traits, including excellent time management skills, hands-on and ability to work independently.
- Commitment to quality, accuracy, timeliness and results.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills as well proficiency with various computer applications.
- A team player mentality and the ability to work in a fast paced, high energy and demanding environment.
- A flexible schedule with the ability to work day, evening and weekend hours as business needs require.
- B.A./B.S. degree or equivalent combination of education and experience preferred.
If you meet these requirements and are interested in working with a group of talented and driven individuals in a team environment, [YOUR BRAND] is interested in talking to you!